If you’re anything like me and Facebook notifications in Google Chrome are getting on your nerves because they keep popping up, even after you’ve shut them off in other location of your computer and Facebook settings. So, here’s what I did.
Block Facebook Notifications
For several weeks, I’ve been getting notifications from Facebook which I didn’t want, but I hadn’t taken the time to figure out how to stop Facebook from sending me notifications that I don’t want. Not everyone on Facebook is hooked on Facebook and wants to be notified when someone post another message. So, I went on a 5 minute mission and here’s what I came up with.
Manage Notification Exceptions In Chrome
- Open the Google Chrome settings page by clicking the gear/note icon in the upper right-hand corner
- Click on “settings” in the popup menu
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “Show advance settings.”
- Under the “Privacy” section, click the “Content settings.” tab.
- Scroll down to “Notifications” and click on “Manage exception.”
- Click the drop-down menu to the right of the Facebook URL (https://www.facebook.com/”), and change it from “Allow” to “Block.”
- Click done.
- Click done again.
- That’s it! No more Facebook notifications in Chrome.
Now, how the notifications got started in the first place is another questions, and I don’t have the answer. I’m sure I probably didn’t read a small “check-box” which was asking me if I wanted to received Facebook Notifications and didn’t uncheck the box or visa-versa.
I’ve noticed quite a few things I’ve opted into were done because I “did not” check the box in order to “opt-out” of receiving whatever it was they wanted to give me. Or the box was checked and I didn’t uncheck it to “opt-out” of what they were offering.
I’m okay with that because you have to read the small print, or check boxes, and make sure you’re not giving a company permission for something you don’t want. It’s all psychology and behavioral patterns of humans beings. We’re predictable, and companies know this.
‘Til the next episode, block your Facebook notifications